ConCorda is an international chamber music course for string players held in the beautiful surrounds of Newtown School, Waterford annually. ConCorda offers advanced string players aged between 14 and 26 an inspiring and transforming musical experience in chamber music, string orchestra and music improvisation.
The course is designed to give students the opportunity to study chamber music intensively at a very high level with a staff of Irish and International experts including members of the Irish Chamber Orchestra. ConCorda is directed Artistic Director Katherine Hunka, Leader of the Irish Chamber Orchestra and Course Director Peggy Nolan. ConCorda is supported by the Irish Association of Youth Orchestras, the Irish Chamber Orchestra and The Arts Council. For more information visit www.concorda.ie.
On the course, students will:
- Develop ensemble awareness, techniques and skills through working with other advanced string players from Ireland and abroad;
- Receive professional coaching and direction in preparation for two public concerts;
- Participate in daily improvisation and rhythm workshops, exploring music through composition and movement;
- Attend a masterclasses with a leading professional quartets;
- Rehearse and perform with the ConCorda String Orchestra;
- Participate in a wide range of extra-curricular activities.
ConCorda conquers in more than just name. ConCorda, is a musical journey – challenging, but deeply rewarding. And I challenge anyone considering partaking, to jump at the chance. You won’t regret it.
Michael Carey, Student at ConCorda 2011
The only words coming to my mind are friendship, generosity, fantastic energy, and of course love for music and people. So thanks a million, and much more…Long live ConCorda!
Sylvain Séailles, Quatuor Varese (Quartet-in-Residence) Concorda 2011